Hugh Clowers Thompson, Jr. was a US army helicopter pilot during the Vietnam War. He is best known for his role in stopping the My Lai Massacre, in which a group of US Army soldiers tortured and killed several hundred unarmed Vietnamese civilians, mutilating their bodies after they had been murdered. Although initially ill-treated in some quarters for their intervention, Thompson and his crew, Glenn Andreotta and Lawrence Colburn, were recognized and decorated many years later for their heroism at My Lai. Andreotta had died in combat three weeks after the massacre, and so was honored posthumously.
Thompson: What’s going on here, Lieutenant?
Calley: This is my business.
Thompson: What is this? Who are these people?
Calley: Just following orders.
Thompson: Orders? Whose orders?
Calley: Just following…
Thompson: But, these are human beings, unarmed civilians, sir.
Calley: Look Thompson, this is my show. I’m in charge here. It ain’t your concern.
Thompson: Yeah, great job.
Calley: You better get back in that chopper and mind your own business.Thompson: You ain’t heard the last of this!
Thompson took off again, and Andreotta reported that Mitchell was now executing the people in the ditch. Furious, Thompson flew over the northeast corner of the village and spotted a group of about ten civilians, including children, running toward a homemade bomb shelter. Pursuing them were soldiers from the 2nd Platoon, C Company. Realizing that the soldiers intended to murder the Vietnamese, Thompson landed his aircraft between them and the villagers. Thompson turned to Colburn and Andreotta and told them that if the Americans began shooting at the villagers or him, they should fire their M60 machine guns at the Americans:”Y’all cover me! If these bastards open up on me or these people, you open up on them. Promise me!” He then dismounted to confront the 2nd Platoon’s leader, Stephen Brooks. Thompson told him he wanted help getting the peasants out of the bunker.
- anakiin reblogged this from mysteryofhistory
- numbtoyouroldglory reblogged this from mysteryofhistory
- seattlehipsterbabe reblogged this from mysteryofhistory
- pandamacanal reblogged this from cheeselovesociology
- ashkabashgoflash likes this
- cheeselovesociology reblogged this from bitsymargaret
- bitsymargaret reblogged this from hell-on-the-heart
- simply-wishin-onastarr reblogged this from hell-on-the-heart
- hell-on-the-heart reblogged this from huey-love
- claudetomas likes this
- allfizzer likes this
- masoncation likes this
- 500daysoftania reblogged this from mysteryofhistory and added:
- justanowheregirl likes this
- huey-love reblogged this from mysteryofhistory
- aslipshodsybil reblogged this from mysteryofhistory
- mysteryofhistory posted this